USA and Cairns Group Farmers call for a big result
14 September 2003
We, the Cairns Group Farm Leaders and the USA farmer groups listed below have come together to urge Ministers here at Cancun to take a more courageous approach to reforming world agricultural trade than the proposals that are presently being considered.
We endorsed the proposals made by our governments in 2002 because they promised a better deal for farmers around the world.
At Doha, all Members of WTO agreed to bring about a substantial reduction in support and protection. Now, we want a decision at Cancun that keeps faith with that commitment and maintains momentum. This means:
- clear decision to eliminate all forms of export subsidies
- Substantial improvements to market access to be achieved by all countries in definite time-frames and including deep cuts to all tariff peaks and a significant expansion of tariff quotas.
- The substantial reduction of trade-distorting domestic supports by all countries
Both developed and developing countries should contribute to achieving a balanced outcome in this round. We recognize that the Doha decision also called for special and differential treatment for developing countries.
Our farmers were led to expect a big expansion in their trading opportunities as a result of the decisions at Doha and we now look to Ministers to deliver.
- American Soybean Association
- USA Rice Federation
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- National Pork Producers' Council
- Wheat Export Trade and Education Committee
- US Wheat Associates
- National Cotton Council
- National Barley Growers Association
- US Grains Council
- National Corn Growers Association
- National Grain Sorghum Producers
- American Farm Bureau Federation
Next Media Releas:
25/2/2004 Farmers deliver strong message to Cairns Group ministers
Previous Media Releas:
29/11/1999 Cairns Farmers talk tough on agriculture